Does Light Hacking Pertain To You?
- Do you use a computer or phone?
- Do you have trouble falling asleep or staying asleep?
- Would you like to be able to get your body to wake up faster in the morning?
- Do you feel a drop in energy or mood during the winter?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, you will benefit from Light Hacking!
The top ways to light hack and how they benefit you:
DIRECT SUNLIGHT: 10-20 min a day, unprotected (no SPF, no sunglasses, wearing as little clothing as possible). Why?
- Necessary for diverse Vitamin D production. Yes, you can supplement with Vitamin D. I do that on a daily basis. But sunlight is the only thing that activates the full spectrum of Vitamin D, including Vitamin D Sulfate. Vitamin D Sulfate cannot be supplemented.
- Necessary for Cholesterol Sulfate production. Why is Chlesterol Sulfate important? It’s a precursor to all of your sex hormones
- Optimal Testosterone Levels. Whether you’re male or female, testosterone is vital for your muscle tone, body composition, and sex drive.
- Endorphin and Dopamine Release. Sunlight triggers the release of endorphins (hormones that can help reduce pain, support hormone regulation, and even inhibit cancer growth). Dopamine is necessary for stable mood, motivation, creativity, and so many other important processes in the body
- **What if don’t have access to the sun? UVB lamp or UVB-heavy tanning bed for 5-10 min twice a week*
- Bright white lights or blue lights – These lights stop melatonin production, so they’re great for helping you to wake up more quickly in the morning
- Red light is best – (NO BLUE OR WHITE LIGHT).
- Blue light filtering glasses should be used when watching TV or using laptop of phone
- Use NightShift settings on computers and phones.
iPhone NightShift and Light Hacking Techniques:
- Go to Settings — Display & Brightness — Night shift – Set the times for your preference.
- General — Accessibility — Display accommodations — Color filters (choose color red to filter out blue light the most)