‘Tis the season for holiday parties, eggnog, and Christmas cocktails. What better time of year to give you guys my top 7 Tips On How To Cure A Hangover — Biohacker Style!
What exactly causes your hangover?
There are a multitude of factors that contribute to the hangover experience of feeling tired, nauseous, shaky, etc. Drinking interferes with brain activity during sleep (specifically keeping you from hitting that deep REM sleep necessary for recovery, so sleep deprivation will absolutely contribute. It scrambles the hormones that regulate our biological clocks, and puts a huge stress on our body, specifically the liver!
Common (and not so common) Hangover Cures and Myths:
- Drink more alcohol (Hair of the dog)…
- Greasy, salty foods…
- Pickle Juice
- Puerto Rican reportedly believe that rubbing a lemon into your armpit helps
- Prairie Oyster – mixing an egg yolk with Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper
- Hungarian Cure – sparrow droppings in a glass of brandy
- South African Tradition- melt a sheep’s stomach walls in a pot with moonshine, beer, and wine
- Old Italian Tradition - Dried Bull Penis
- Little yellow pill (double up!)
- AXIO as mixer
- ProBio – not usually eating that health
- Choose drinks and mixers that don’t contain a ton of carbs and sugars that wreak more havoc on your body and cause greater hormone fluctuation
- Organic Bone Broth with pink sea salt to taste
- Go with gluten-free liquors and beers
- If you must take a pain reliever, choose one WITHOUT acetaminophen (main ingredient in Tylenol). Acetaminophen needs to be metabolized by the liver, just like alcohol. A night of drinking puts your liver into overdrive, consequently disrupting your liver from being able to fully break down the toxins in acetaminophen, increasing risk for liver damage even at lower doses.